Fair housing demonstration, Milwaukee, 1967.
Well-known protest photographer Ben Fernandez came to Milwaukee on assignment, like many other photographers, as national news outlets took notice of the civil rights struggle unfolding in the urban north. Fernandez published this photo in his 1968 book, IN OPPOSITION: IMAGES OF AMERICAN DISSENT IN THE SIXTIES.
via: The March on Milwaukee Civil Rights History Project, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries
Thanks to historian Mark Speltz for curating this week’s blog. To find out more about the civil rights movement in Milwaukee, explore UW-Milwaukee’s March on Milwaukee digital collection or search for “civil rights” on the Wisconsin Heritage Online portal.
46 Notes/ Hide
- ghostoferzulie likes this
- kenyabenyagurl likes this
- beyondgodthefather likes this
- bsays likes this
- poppet74 likes this
- titotito likes this
- veebar2 likes this
- notime4yourshit reblogged this from wiscohisto
- milwaukier-than-thou reblogged this from wiscohisto
- mr-maddlocks likes this
- thingsrecycledusefully likes this
- smartchickscommune reblogged this from wiscohisto and added:
- This was featured in #History
- wiscohisto posted this