On this day in 1843, pioneering Wisconsin photographer H. H. Bennett was born in Canada.
Henry Hamilton Bennett came to Wisconsin as a young man in 1857. In 1865, he established a photographic studio (now a museum) in Wisconsin Dells. His photographs of the rocky landscape along the Wisconsin River and of the Ho Chunk people living in the region helped make the Wisconsin Dells a popular tourist destination.
This portrait of Bennett, a veteran of the Civil War, in his G.A.R. uniform, comes from the collections of the Wisconsin Historical Society.
read more: A. C. Bennett, "A Wisconsin Pioneer in Photography," Wisconsin Magazine of History vol. 22, no. 3 (1939)
see more: Wisconsin Historical Images, Wisconsin Historical Society
11 Notes/ Hide
- iowaarchaeology likes this
- adayofjamandbread likes this
- horseradish1952 likes this
- heyyouwannafuck likes this
- krippner likes this
- romanpanacek likes this
- chewypuffnstuff reblogged this from wiscohisto
- barewood78 reblogged this from wiscohisto
- barewood78 likes this
- todaysdocument likes this
- bluelinespecial reblogged this from wiscohisto
- artanddesignmatters likes this
- wiscohisto posted this