Laying the cornerstone for Pearsons Science Hall, Beloit College, Wisconsin, 1892 (detail).
In honor of the new year and new beginnings, we’re looking at photos of Wisconsin buildings under construction. This detail image shows a crowd gathered for the laying of the cornerstone for a new building on the Beloit College campus. Doctor and philanthropist D. K. Pearsons, for whom the building was named, is at the left (with white beard). Full image here.
via: Pearsons Hall Collection, Beloit College Archives
508 Church Street, Mineral Point, Wisconsin, as seen ca. 1900 and 1971.
This house, built in 1855 for Harvey Keyes, shows only a few modifications between these two photographs—the first a glass negative taken around the turn of the 20th century and the second a slide captured as part of a buildings survey by UW-Madison Landscape Architecture students in 1971. Shutters and a tree in the front yard have been removed, wood siding replaced with aluminum, and a small garage added.